Monday, June 30, 2008

Knights In Shining Armor …

I was talking to a friend yesterday about making mistakes and going through difficult times. You know … the big, life altering mistakes and struggles.

As much as I don’t like painful experiences, I always grow as a person because of it.

All of your struggles and triumphs over time become your story and the most powerful tool you have to help others and really make a difference in the world.

One of the biggest struggles in my life is the reason why I am so passionate about transforming the way we look at education.

When I was a kid in school … I was an average student and I didn’t appear to have any real talent. I wasn’t an athlete, so I didn’t get a self esteem or confidence boost there.

Because I wasn’t an “A” student, I believed that I wasn’t smart.

Even though I didn’t believe I was smart and had lousy ACT scores, I still wanted to do something extraordinary with my life.

I remember thinking about careers and what I wanted to do with my life.

The problem was … I was too afraid to tell anyone what I was thinking about. I thought … “people might laugh and not take me serious; after all, I’m really not that smart.”

I didn’t breathe a word of it until my senior year in high school.

By this point, I had a teacher I really liked and trusted. One day, while working together on a school project, she asked me what I wanted to do with my life.

I was so afraid to answer. My heart was pounding and I thought about saying “I don’t know.” I was dying to get her opinion so I said, “I’m thinking about studying architecture.”

To my surprise, she said “I think that’s a great idea, you’d be really good at it”

That one person believing in me completely changed my life.

Even though I didn’t fit the traditional school setting, I thrived in the creative world of design and architecture.

After many long and difficult years, I did become an get my Bachelors in Architecture.

There are so many kids, just like me, that don’t fit traditional methods of education, but it doesn’t mean they aren’t talented.

My learning didn’t stop at graduation. Since then, I’ve explored and grown my talents, purpose and passion.

Because of that work, I now have a job that I truly love as a college instructor.

A couple of days ago, I taught a group of 25 high school students who are enrolled in a summer college program.

When they first walked in to my classroom they were happy, laughing and seemed to be having fun.

As soon as we got onto the subject of “what do you want to do with your life”, these happy-go-lucky kids lost their smiles and laughter … even their posture changed.

They looked like they were all wearing shiny silver metal suites of armor and their faces were blank.

The change was drastic.

Though, I wasn’t surprised.

It happens every time I work with a new group of students, young or old.

At one time, I wore the same protective suit of armor.

Now, I share my story of struggle and success hoping to inspire as many people as I can.

When you discover your talents and find a career that you love, your energy and passion will move, touch and inspire everyone that you come into contact with.

Have a wonderful day!
Nicole Guillory

If you have any questions or comments, please email me at Nicole@dreamjobsecrets.com

No comments: